Monday, November 30, 2009

first day...




So - yesterday was the first Sunday in to long a time that a kahuna bike wasn't the main course. This is what I did instead...So I'm not whining - for the record. It was a relaxing and charge the batteries day. Ilana has been on her sticks seven ( 7 ) days to my first. She LOVES the skiing - and it is bloody awesome watching her with the K1 group. Seventeen uber-keen  racers with a dose of adolescent goofiness for fun.
As parents - this is a huge dose of new fun. We volunteer HEAVY for the club - her training now has no part of us. In the Nancy Greene E level - I was always helping the Head Coach set-up and take-down gates. The K1 kids do that.
So she's out there ripping it up - and I got into the trees for a bit.
Big White is at ~ 100 cm base - so we're in awesome shape for this time of year.
But I couldn't stop thinking about the training. Ultraman Hawaii was in it's 3rd day - the peach - double marathon. IM Cozumel. And what was I doing about my training. Well for starters - Trevor & I will be running 2 hours Tuesday 5 am - and Jaegan & I will be tackling Vapour that night for a XC bike ride. Cannot wait to get the HD helmet camera. So nothing has changed. I'm also going to get some " misery sticks " and go skate skiing this Winter. Never done it - heard nothing but the words " brutal " and " self-inflicting " .....
Most importantly though - No. 1 triathlon rule is whilst on these sticks the theme is " Mellow ". I never charge it hard on the skis. Why ? Well my buddy Rick is a hard-mouthed fast-tracking skier and boarder. When he actually shows up for a Steamy hot Summer bike - he bitches non-stop about wanting to ski. So he's the perpetual flow of snow and working the sticks. So this Saturday - he's boarding hard - and hits a tree about 8 feet up. Sounds like preliminary reports are a tweeked or small tear LCL. He is f*cked for December anyways.
This blog is not - I told ya so. I guess with age advancement - I'd rather take this youngins ribbing about my casual pace than grenade my knees. The dance card is FULL for 2010 - and it still has some possible entries. Why risk it ?
Youth - I was there and stumbled through it like a drunk bear at an all-you-can eat buffet. Some moments not-so-pretty. I think I've tried to learn from the awkward moments and not keep repeating them. So - Rick - grab some grey matter and THINK about your December. I don't call you " Klik Klik " for nothing. Your right knee does that for you.

There is a huge unquenching emotion that stirs when I see untracked powder. But it's not as strong a desire as the bike course at the Oliver Desert Half or a smooth flow climb & descent at Vapour.
Heal up fast Rick - and hopefully we can get you out on a night ride up Smith Creek or Vapour soon.

Here's also BIG kudos to C. Foulk & Rich Roll at the Ultraman World Championship in Hawaii this weekend. Both had hard falls - but soldiered on ( Cory was an eventual DNF ). All the UM competitors are big in my books - that's why I'm volunteering again next August long weekend at UMC.

Pictures and blog to follow re night rides. Have a good day everybody. Cheers B

2 comments:

  1. as a die hard skier who tri's to keep in shape for the season, it is great to see your daughter pushing the limits! based on your blog comments she has a good role model to follow for training! Send some of your western Canada snow to our Ontario hills, it's ski season! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do ! I always leave beer at the alter of the Snow Gods and Biking Gods. I hear they rumble together the odd time !!
    Cheers
    Brent

    ReplyDelete