Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Priorities...


Just had a chat with one of the mates I trained with hard in Fall 08 and Spring 09. As he did post IMC 05 - he has flat-out stopped his training ?! I wont divulge his age - but the numerous factors he's using as excuses REALLY should be used as incentive & motivation. While the priority post the big one is to rest & heal - stopping altogether is limiting and counter-productive. Yet D has been running for 30 years ?! You'd think he'd get it. Sounds as though he is going to give up the tri-sport and concentrate on his trail running. I'll try to get him going again on the bike - but it sounds as though his mind is made up. I keep reminding him that one small run a week right now leads to Herculean start from scratch training in '10.

I'm really trying to take this from both sides of perspective - but I'm not altering/reducing my schedule to try and revive his. He knows our Tues & Thurs run schedule - I remind him - the ball is in his court.


Saturday & Sunday were two fantastic XC rides - ALWAYS incorporating big climbs. These both had their share of snow too - so the descents were calculated and safe. Jaegan is about the only other crazyhorse I know that will ride this weather into December. We've committed the deposit and are registered in 2010 BCBR. I'm excited.
Once the XC is beyond safe - we'll be skate skiing with the HID lights to IMPROVE the cardio. This is a first for me - and I welcome the challenge. The form will need huge work - but the cardio benefits I am so pumped about. I have Alpine skied for 3/4's of my days. This means almost nothing for the Nordic.

This Saturday is the Big White Racers' Snowflake Gala Fundraiser. It's going to be huge. The semi-formal Silent Auction has a prize coming up from Lance Armstrong ( Axel Merckx is in our Club ), 2 - 1 week packages at Vail, a Vancouver Canucks jerseys, games package - some BIG ticket items. Will keep you posted.

Ilana our daughter is on snow Saturday - first ride up in the BWR van. The beginning of many many trips in the Iron Lung.....This is her first year in K1 racing - points, training, training, dryland, fun.

Planning a Thursday run ~ 2 hrs again, and a Friday night XC ride. Let's hope I'm a good boy Saturday night and can ski hard Sunday. There are forces at bay ( at least 5 dudes I know ) that will be looking to attempt mayhem ( in their minds anyways ) at Snowflake. We'll see - but my " I'm in training " has always worked with them....

Cheers,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment